Hmmm...where to begin....I guess at the beginning. Why do I feel a song coming on?? Well, I can report that we have survived eating our way through Newport. The food was fabulous. Thur and Fri Louis still had to be in school so we went and saw a few of the Newport mansions. Three total, and they were eye opening. The extravagance was getting a little ridiculous. Although to be fair we did go see the most popular, gilded, and the largest that was offered. The views were the best part of the sight seeing. We had 4 perfect days of sunny, breezy 70's weather we could have asked for. Saturday was a little cloudy and patchy rain, but other than that not bad. Dar absolutely loved being with his Daddy and I think the only time he cried was when we tried to get him to go to sleep. Typical 3 year old. Thursday night we celebrated my father's birthday having a wonderful dinner on the waterfront. Saturday we celebrated Dar's and mine by taking the tourist train in the morning, going to the children's museum in Portsmouth, RI in the afternoon and then hibachi Sushi which was incredible, that evening in Newport. Dar loved his new light sabers and his Kung Fu Panda stuffed toys. I received a bruised, swollen thumb joint yesterday from his exuberence with those sabers...I guess I have to be more careful. Sunday we went to church before skipping out early in order to go to the Red Sox game in fenway. They lost...I think we are jinxed, every time we go to a game they lose. It's very frustrating. Meanwhile Mom and Dad rented scooters, tooled around Newport and had a picnic on the point. We were joined for dinner by two women, one having graduated with Louis from the Naval Academy was picked up for the JAG program the same time he was is also in the same NJS class he is currently in. And the other a good friend who went to UW with him and then took a job with the Navy JAG is up there for Officer training followed by NJS. It was a lot of fun...a lot of Navy talk, but enjoyable nonetheless. Monday came all too soon in my opinion but it dawned beautifully. We went to the beach in Newport and flew a kite and Dar walked/ran through the red surf and chased the seagulls until they were really annoyed. It was a wonderfully relaxed day. Of course Dar fell asleep for the 10 minute ride back to base which meant that he didn't go back to sleep when we got back to the hotel. So he went to the beach on base with Gram and Gramdad to throw rocks into the water for a few more hours. He's going to become an excavator or something, rocks, dirt, and water are his three main staples. Anyway, dinner followed in a downtown pub and we walked around a little afterwards. All in all a very peaceful day if it weren't for the torment plagueing me because it was our last with Louis. I was not ready to leave. So after crying myself to sleep and a very teary morning we headed back to VA. Dar didn't want to go either but at least he didn't have a tantrum about it. That would have been too hard for me to keep my composure I think. Anyway, we are getting back into our respective routines and facing a bleak 6 weeks before we are forever done with school and can be reunited.
Thursday, September 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Where in VA are you? Sounds like you all had a lot of running around over the last few days.
Up by Harpers Ferry
Post a Comment