Saturday, January 24, 2009

So, why did the little bird cross the road?

Funniest thing happened to me the other day. Dar and I were driving home from his swimming lessons and as I turned the corner on the last stretch I had to stop. There was a little bird crossing the CROSSWALK from the park to the tower on the other side. I stopped but the nose of the van was barely entering the crosswalk. Since we drive on the other side of the road here, I was on the same side of the car as the bird. I looked down, the bird stopped and looked up at me. He then turned around walked a little ways back and then waited for me to proceed. I went on ahead, and looked in the rearview mirror. As soon as I cleared the crosswalk the little bird finished crossing the road climbed up onto the sidewalk and trotted along his merry way. It was so funny because the birds behavior was full of reproach at my infringing on his rights and blocking his path.

On other bird news...I was attacked by a seahawk last week. You know, several people warned us upon arrival how aggressive these birds could be and cautioned us to cover food constantly when having picnics in summer. One of these birds actually tried to grab one womans baby thinking it was food once. Anyway, dar and I had walked across the parking lot to the Pierce's house for lunch. I had taken two boxes of bagel bites in case Jared and Ethan wanted some as well. Turns out they had already eaten so Dar only ate one. I was carrying the extra box in front of me walking home and from behind me a seahawk drops down and claws at the box, well, the picture of the food on the front of the box anyway. When he couldn't grab anything he flew off. His wing hit me in the face and completely made me jump. Dar was a little too short to be affected, I'm not sure he even realized it was a bird or what had happened until afterward. So the warnings aren't joking...beware of birds!

4 comments:

melanie said...

CRAZY! It's like that one movie "the birds"...super trippy. The same crosswalk thing happened to me but with a deer! When we lived in Redmond. A deer walked down the sidewalk, crossed a the crosswalk, then proceeded along. I swear, if only PJ could be that smart.

Rachel said...

well, now it explains whenever you get that creepy feeling that someone is watching you...it's probably just the animals figuring out how we stay safe!! ;)

Jen Seegmiller said...

That's funny. The little bird, not the seahawk. I'd say get a dog to scare them away, but somehow I don't think that'll work out too well. Maybe a tennis racket? I know. Get yourself a jacket with a giant tiger on it and start a fashion trend(hahaha).

Hanne and Fam said...

I can just imagine that little bird being all reproachful! That is a funny story!