Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Wake Up Call

Liam is an angel, he rarely cries. Normally, when he is hungry he starts sucking on his fingers...very loudly, and starts grunting trying, unsuccessfully, to get something out of them. So when he does cry, it's more dramatic. Every mother knows that when your baby cries the need to immediately jump up and calm them down is pure instinct. During the day we have a tendency to restrain that instinct, during the night, the more exhausted you are, the harder to grasp before it gets away from you. Last Friday was just such a night, I was out cold because of the overkill week that had just passed. Liam was already having a rough night for some reason or another, gas, hungry from his growth spurt...I don't remember now. All I know was from midnight until 5 am he had woken up 4 times. I had gone to bed at 11:30. I was not all there, to say the least, delirious at best. So when he started crying in ernest at 6am, shocked by his intensity, I jumped out of bed and started hastily into his bedroom. Unfortunately, our bedroom door had other plans. In my haste, I had not opened my eyes yet, as they were mostly gummed closed. I was firmly grasped by the need to get to my baby and find out what was wrong when I plowed into our door, with quite a bit of force. It slammed shut with a pretty loud gunshot sort of sound, and I rebounded off of it and rested my back against the wall that was supposed to be behind the door. Liam momentarily paused in his pleas and then renewed his vigor, while Louis rolled over and asked if I was ok, (Dar much to my surprise didn't wake up to all this racket). The most I could respond, still being rather unsure whether I was awake or asleep was a grunt...or a groan, I'm not sure which really. I somehow proceeded to calm Liam, who didn't want to nurse but wanted to be held and patted, must have been gas then, while I paid more attention to the places that throbbed. My bruised cheek bone, and swelling lip were just side shows to the immediate blue goose egg that had replaced my right knee cap (apparently the first to make contact with my unexpected barrier). Liam calmed down mercifully fast, and went back into his crib. I climbed into bed surprised at how bad my knee hurt and after answering a few question, tried to fall asleep...unsuccessfully. Talk about starting your day off on the wrong foot...

0 comments: